Monday, July 28, 2014

Ladies...we need to talk...Seriously...

Ladies, I love you all, but we seriously need to talk about your body image issues.  Nothing about what I have seen these past few months of working with various women is ok by any stretch; the good news is that YOU have the power to change it!  Don’t worry; we’re here to help you!

So, here’s the observation that I’ve made, Ladies…you each tear yourselves down to a level that is just upsetting to see.  You compare yourselves to others that look nothing like you and just make yourselves feel bad.  Why?  Why can’t we celebrate our own unique beauty with other women?  Why is this always a competition?  Why are we the the ones that create these unrealistic expectations for ourselves?  Why is it that as a whole, we tend to think that if we say another woman is beautiful it somehow takes away from us and our beauty?  Let me just be clear…IT DOESN”T, IT ENHANCES IT.  Do you know how beautiful and sexy confidence is?  Don’t you know that by lifting another woman up and making her feel beautiful, it brings out your inner beauty?  We should be celebrating each other, not trashing each other. 

We here at Sinister Rouge want to take pictures that enhance every woman’s beauty, bring it to the surface and let her personality shine.  We want to create an atmosphere where women are comfortable, at ease, and at their best, not trying to upstage or bully each other.  I have zero tolerance for that, please let that be known now. 

So, tall skinny girls, know that the shorter curvy girls envy your frame, shorter curvy girls, know that the tall skinny girls long for your curves.  Girls with long, curly hair admire the straight short haired styles and vice versa.  Instead of bashing someone that has what we want, maybe it’s time to start appreciating what we do have to work with and enhance that.  If your nose is a little bigger than you’d like, but you have fabulous blue eyes, make those eyes dramatic and be confident and I promise you that you’ll be the only one thinking about it.  A little curvier than the average gal, find a fit that flatters you that makes you feel good and hold your head high, you’ll be the envy of every skinny girl in the neighborhood.  Just be kind to yourselves and one another.  It’s easier than you think.  For me, it's so much fun to dress up and enhance different body types, it's like having beautiful living dolls in all shapes and sizes.  There's always going to be someone you think is prettier than you, but is that really that girl's issue or is it yours?  Focus on yourself and bringing out the best in you, because bitch just doesn't look good on anyone.

I’m not perfect by any stretch; my body is changing dramatically almost weekly due to weight loss.  The weight doesn’t come off evenly, my chest may shrink before my stomach, my hips may be losing inches before my waist, I’m not always proportioned the way I’m used to my body being.  But you know what, I’m 35 years old, my body has been through hell and quite frankly, I’m so happy that it works, I don’t care if it’s pretty enough for you.  Although I’m ok with who I am and don’t care if someone doesn’t like it, I’m not exactly comfortable getting my picture taken or putting myself out there simply because I’m not someone that likes to look at pictures of themselves.  But, fear of being a hypocrite and not having a plus size woman represented yet at Sinister Rouge was far scarier than having my picture taken by a friend and colleague. 

Yes, being friends with our photographer, Tom Storm, had to have had an effect on my comfort level, but, after seeing him work with multiple girls, knowing him before hand has nothing to do with it. 

Tom has a very special Super Power…he puts everyone he is around at ease and then is able to capture that perfectly at ease moment on camera, bringing out each women’s personality and inner beauty.  I’m not quite sure how Tom sees this at first glance when he meets someone, but it truly is a talent.  Watching him work is absolutely magical, there’s no other word for it.  He creates the perfect fantasy and shows you exactly what you want to see, not necessarily what others would see there.  Maybe if more women could see themselves through Tom Storm’s eyes the world would be a better place with less bitchiness towards each other…Let’s try to find out…I'll put myself out there first for ya, it's not as scary as you think it is...

Selena without Make Up

Selena after make up getting ready for photo shoot

Made 3 other women feel beautiful today...Mission Accomplished!!!

With Love,
~Selena of 13th Moon
XoXoXo

To find out more about how to book a photo shoot with Sinister Rouge Pin Up and Tom Storm of sTOrM Photography, please contact SinisterRougePinUp@gmail.com    

1 comment: