Tuesday, February 17, 2015

40 Story Radio Tower - February

Hello beautiful people! My name is Marissa, and I'm a new member of Sinister Rouge. I'll try not to talk too much about myself, but I'll just give the lowdown. I'm a 23 year old actress, singer, writer, beauty lover, graduate student, mental health worker, barista. I am so infinitely excited to be a member of this wonderful group, and can't wait to truly immerse myself. I also have the tendency to babble, so I’m going to get straight to the point:
Since March of 2014, I’ve been a performer on 40 Story Radio: The Monthly Recorded Live for Podcast Radio Show, performed at the Mauch Chunk Opera house, in my hometown of Jim Thorpe, PA. I’ll tell you straight up, a lot of the factual stuff I’m going to spew at you right now will be pulled from the website. Like this summary of what our show is: “40-Story Radio Tower is a monthly show held at the Mauch Chunk Opera House in Jim Thorpe, PA. The show uses a ‘live reading’ format that is entertaining in its own right. You could compare it to attending a live concert—which it partially is—or a poetry slam—which it is as well, or a staged reading of unique and original work—every month. Because the Opera House is wired directly to Purple Audio Sound for first-rate live recording, the “episodes” are recorded and distributed as a podcast. Each show also features a different music group selected on their own merits to play between the spoken segments.” - http://fortystoryradiotower.com/
I’ve been with this group for almost an entire year, and it is some of the most fun I have ever had. The cast, crew, and audience members, have become my weird little family. There is an air of creativity and fun and absolute chaos that is insurmountable at every show. It features new and original pieces by people from all walks of life. It also has the vintage, retro-like feel (that I crave in my day to day life, obviously) of an old radio show. I’m going to save you all of the details, and ask that, if you really want to know more about how the show was formed and why, every single member of the cast, every writer, and all of our featured bands, you check out our website. However, Selena has given me the awesome opportunity to tell you a little about each month’s show (a teaser, if you will) in hopes that you will come and have a blast with us.
This month’s performance will be held On February 19 at 8:00 PM (doors open at seven) at the Mauch Chunk Opera House. You can call to reserve tickets, or simply buy them at the door. The featured band is the Coal Town Rounders: “..a hard driving four piece traditional bluegrass band from various parts of Northeastern Pennsylvania. Drawing influence from all types of old time string bands and bluegrass standards.’ -(https://www.facebook.com/coaltownrounders/timeline) Three of our featured skits include: Crosspital: A serial piece following the life of Mr. Crumbel, a man wrongly committed to a psychiatric ward that’s staff is more corrupt than their patients. Will Crumbel escape? Will Dee’s love help him overcome all obstacles? Shitmouthtown: A piece by Michael Newton. A young dentist is assigned to a town whose inhabitants’ teeth (and attitudes) are, well, shitty. Dither for a Dollar: We rejoin our forlorn radio host, Kelly, for his call in radio segment that gives listeners the chance to sell their items…..any items….. Let’s be real, there is a lot more happening, but I can’t give away all of the fun, can I? I encourage you all to check out, download, subscribe, and rate (hopefully well) our podcast, that can be easily found on ITunes. And I cannot wait to see you on the nineteenth! I can guarantee you will leave with a smile on your face and a slightly more twisted sense of humor and art. (Stay after too, its lots of fun!) ~ Marissa

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see the show tonight! I saw my first performance last month with Cherokee Red and it was a good time! Really like the mix of music and performance, makes for an entertaining evening!

    ReplyDelete