Wednesday, February 18, 2015

You are a Priority and Yes It’s Ok!!



By: Ceci Blu

Definition of Priority – “(1) the right to take precedence or to precede before others.”

                  “(2) the fact or condition of being regarded or treated as more important.”


  I preceded this post with the definition of priority for a reason. We as a society have many responsibilities, it may be things like family, work, or social etc. We are also a bit judgmental, and I don’t mean this in a way that is insensitive or mean. What I am saying is that we compare our priorities with the way another prioritizes and say, “well I would never do that over this”. I am guilty of this as much as the next person. As a society we tend to put ourselves at the end of our never ending list or not on it at all in my personal case. Looking at those that do prioritize themselves, sometimes we may judge them and say well don’t you think maybe this was more important than going to the salon. I say GOOD FOR YOU!!! We should learn a lesson from that person. How can we say that it is not important for them to do that?

    I am a wife, mom, and caretaker. I have an amazing family, but up until recently I have been so busy taking care of everyone else, and all of my other priorities that I forgot that sometimes I need to be taken care of too. I am here to tell you even as I am learning this myself.

Its Ok to be YOUR PRIORITY!!!

 We often get lost in our families, friends, work, and home life that when it comes time to make time for ourselves we are too tired or have no money and the excuses can be endless. Trust me I have used them all and I’m sure that there are more that I haven’t even thought of yet. I have an amazing husband who often gets upset with me because I forget to take care of myself. My general priority list looks like this:

  • Wife/ Mom/ Caretaker

  • Family (Parents, Siblings, Nieces, Nephews)

  • Work( Day job, and other Jobs I do in my spare time)

  • Bills (YUCK!!!!!)

  • House Chores

If yours looks similar to mine, let us make a change. I am trying to make this change in my life. The logic behind this is that if you aren’t happy how can you be at your best you. We all need a little bit of time to ourselves to get back to zero. Getting back to zero is basically centering yourself as if you are doing YOGA for your priorities. Even if that means you take a few minutes each day to sit and think by yourself, read a book, or just doing something you enjoy. It helps to remember that you enjoyed things before life got in the way. Making yourself a priority is healthy for your body, soul, and mind. It helps you to remember that you were once important and still are important to many people. Make yourself a priority list and see where you fall. I challenge you to move yourself up a space each time you think about rearranging your priorities soon you will be near the top ( let’s be honest most of us won’t make it to the top, but to be on it is the goal) of your list. Hopefully realize that it has made you a better person for yourself and in the end for your family and friends too. Don’t judge how someone sets their priorities who are we to say what their priorities should be?

1 comment:

  1. I agree, it is very easy to get lost in your own life sometimes. Simple concept, yet far too many don't even realize it...I think I need to adjust my list! :)

    ReplyDelete