Thursday, April 23, 2015

Where the MAGIC happens...for a pinup

One of the best parts of my job is that I get to go to trade shows and help buy new merchandise for the boutique that I manage. Last month I had the chance to go to the WWDMAGIC show in Las Vegas. Magic is THE show to go to if you sell clothing. I had no idea what a big deal it actually was until I got there! First off, the place is huge. Overwhelmingly huge. Its held in the Las Vegas Convention Center and it only runs for a few days. So you need to cover as much ground as you humanly can!
    What I also did not know is that there is an ‘Alternative’ section. My eyes lit up at the sight of such a word. For a girl that dresses like I do, loving all things pinup, punk, retro, vintage inspired,  this was the section I had been waiting for. I got to see brands like Sourpuss, Kreepsville 666, Folter, H&R London, Too Fast, and Steady Clothing




My absolute favorite brand is Sourpuss and of course I came decked out in one of their dresses. I had the most fun in their booth; pointing out what I already own and what is on my wishlist. Why do I love them so much? They are independently owned, they have everything that I love rolled into one...cute, kitschy, and creepy, and they are super affordable.
Now, in all fairness, the shop I work for isn’t very pinup inspired but it is a bit country/gypsy/rockabilly, so luckily some of this stuff DOES fit in AND in most cases these companies let me order things for myself as well. Lucky me! Here is just a small sampling of what we did order.


 Best moment of the show….meeting Tess Munster! She happened to be at the show modeling for Steady Clothing. If you don’t know who this amazing lady is, you definitely should. Tess is a plus sized model, makeup artist, and body positive activist. She started an amazing movement on instagram called #effyourbeautystandards were women of all shapes and sizes can feel beautiful. Shes gained tons of press recently as she has just been signed to Milk Model Management, making her the first plus sized model of her size to be signed to a mainstream modeling agency.
Needless to say, I was a total fan girl. She was gorgeous and so down to earth and she just seemed so happy! We chatted about tattoos (hers are just the coolest!), John Waters, and how she would be meeting Ricki Lake for the first time and how she was so excited about it! Now if thats not a gal after my own heart, than I don’t know what is. 


No comments:

Post a Comment