Wednesday, June 17, 2015

How Full Is Your Glass?

Hello loves!

     I took a bit of a hiatus from the Internet in hopes to relieve some MAJOR amounts of stress in my life. I've come to the conclusion that this was completely necessary, but not because I wanted to be unsocial or cut people completely out of my life. I absolutely needed to reevaluate the way I looked at things. As funny as it may seem, it helped me realize how pessimistic I was with events that I could have, ultimately, taken control of in a healthier way.

“I am fundamentally an optimist. Whether that comes from nature or nurture, I cannot say. Part of being optimistic is keeping one's head pointed toward the sun, one's feet moving forward. There were many dark moments when my faith in humanity was sorely tested, but I would not and could not give myself up to despair. That way lays defeat and death.” 
― Nelson MandelaLong Walk to Freedom: Autobiography of Nelson Mandela

     For instance, I was becoming self-doubtful in my career path and some choices I had made. I laid in bed one night, contemplating everything - pretty much on the verge of tossing everything away. In the midst of all of that, I hit a brick wall of realization. I had an epiphany! I knew I was looking at things in a negative light, so I just needed to switch that around. It seems so easy but when you’re stuck in a funk, man, you’re stuck. It really boils down to the determination you have to get the hell out of that sticking point and motivation to move forward towards greater things. I knew that if I wanted anything to change, I had to start with myself and how I was addressing situations.

     “Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.” 
 
Mahatma Gandhi

     I got up and starting looking up motivational quotes, Pinterest is awesome for that, and researching how to become more optimistic. I stumbled upon a really great chart that narrowed down some unhealthy thinking styles. It’s funny how some of them I pointed to and said “Oh, I do that!” I knew that I had to improve on those at that point.
Find more at Health Central!

     Now don’t get me wrong, I am an optimistic person for things like solving issues related to my job and even for other people; however, I think we all hit snags in the road when it comes to ourselves. We just need to look at things differently. When a personal issue enters my life now, I do my best to stay focused on the solutions, get advice from other people or even try different approaches than I normally would of. It’s amazing what changes this has brought to my life since it has allowed me to see myself differently and communicate better with those who respect me and my time. I have also learned to not blame myself or personalize the situation when others leave my life for their reasons.

     I don’t think that being optimistic is so much about being positive but more about being motivated and persistent. It's about being able to look at a situation and seeing the good or just using the event to grow as a person in a positive light. Enough of my babbling! How full do you think your glass is??

xx
Jolie Kasar

No comments:

Post a Comment