Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Pride

I know, I know, my cynicism on this is going to be somewhat overwhelming for some of you, but just hear me out...

I don't understand hate for the sake of hate....hating someone for their race, sexual orientation, etc, it's all just bullshit to me, but I know that it's there, I just can't wrap my head around it.  So when the question of "Why didn't you change your FB profile pic to "Celebrate Pride", it really made me start to think about why it wasn't an automatic reaction for me...I support gay marriage, a large number of the people within my immediate group of loved ones are gay, of course I support their right to marry, duh....but it's deeper than that.

Sometimes I wish I was that person that can revel in small wins, that could be happy for even just a moment when we get something that has been fought for, but shouldn't have to be.....I'm just not that person... I find it hard to celebrate when although it's legal for same sex couples to marry across the US, it is also still legal in a large number of states (the majority, actually) to discriminate against these same people for their sexual orientation or gender identity.  Huh?  "What was that again?", you say.  Click the link, check out the map, it's appalling and disgusting and quite frankly, brings me to tears. We made it legal for same sex couples to marry before they get basic rights as individual human beings in most states.  I can't be the only one outraged by this.  I'm not criticizing the decision, I do support it, but why stop there?  It can't stop there.

I personally find it hard to celebrate this victory as if it's the be all, end all....it's just the beginning, folks....So, when asked why I didn't "Pride" my Facebook profile page, the conclusion I came to is that the fight is not over.  Now I understand, it's a small gesture to show support, but those around me already know they have my support.  I'll show my support by loving people for who they are (unless they're assholes, I don't care what gender, sexual orientation, or race you are, if you're an asshole, you're an asshole, and I won't waste my time), by fighting for and helping as many people as I can.  I find it hard to join in on the corporate mandated "support" by not really doing anything but changing a filter...Now I do understand how big this victory is, I don't want to diminish that, but at the same time, we need to remember that like when Segregation ended, racism did not.  It's showing a change in the tides, which is good, but I'm always cautious not to take my eye off the prize and celebrate prematurely.  That's when you get knocked down.

I'm thrilled for all of you that can celebrate this, but after all the hate that's been in the headlines the past few months, I hardly think this one gesture evens the score, but it certainly is a good start...I look forward to seeing where we can go with this.

Just my two cents.....

~Lily White 

No comments:

Post a Comment