Monday, December 14, 2015

The First Day of Xmas with Krystal Lake: My Favorite Things of Xmas

I’m a spooky gal and as such, Halloween will always be the holiday that is #1 in my heart. However, Christmas will always be a close second… followed by Independence day. What can I say, I love a holiday that ends with a bang! Today is my first day of twelve where I will be talking about my favorite things about Christmas from horror films to cocktails. I will also share look back on the previous year as well as past Christmases and share a few stories. While I do cover a lot in the upcoming eleven days, there is still a lot I don’t. So here are five of my favorite things of Christmas that won’t be covered!

1. NUTS!!!!!!!!

Yeah. My Grandma on my moms side has a recipe for bourbon spiced pecans and they are basically the most addictive nut you will ever taste. My Grandma’s nuts have shamed fellow nutters for years. I don’t know what I enjoy more… watching my friends enjoy their ration of nuts I disperse over the holidays or the looks from my neighbors when we open our doors and all you can smell is bourbon. In any case, both reactions are epic! At this very moment, there are about twenty pounds of pecans in my kitchen waiting for the magic to be worked! #soon I will not give out this recipe. There are plenty of them online, but ours is sacred. 


2. Candles!!!!!!


I have a candle problem. I’m talking I have an overstock on tea lights (scented and unscented), small ones, large ones, three wick, special ones that a decoration only, and a wide variety of scents. I keep 3-5 lit at a time most days. I wish I was lying. I have one in my long hallway, one on the tv stand, one on each book shelf, and sometimes I have one lit in the bathroom. This time of year is my favorite. I love marshmallow scents and balsam fir. I call them my calming scents this time of year. In fall it is anything apple and pumpkin. When spring and summer hit, I like floral scents and “ocean” scents. I say “ocean” because they never smell like the beach unless they remind me of sunblock. Just saying. #getontheboatthebananboat


3. Candy Canes!!!!!!!!!

I love candy canes. I love peppermint. I have two boxes of them on my coffee table. They also remind me of myself because we are both sweet and twisted. #shamelessplug




4. Christmas Cookies!!!!!!!

I love a good Christmas cookie and I have a feeling that this year I will sit and cry while I eat them. I know… sounds like a bad episode of The Biggest Loser: Xmas Edition. When I was a kid, someone always made those butter, drop cookies with a Maraschino Cherries. I hated them. I ripped out the cherries and ate the cookie. My grandfather on the other hand, loved them! As I got older, they kind of grew on me. This will be my first Christmas since my Grandfather passed away and I have a feeling those cookies are going to do me in this year. But none the less, I will always enjoy baking, sharing, and eating Christmas cookies. I always find baking cookies to be a great stress reliever. 


5. Christmas Lights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I’m obsessed with Christmas lights. They are my favorite of all the Christmas decorations, ever! I love putting them up, I love creeping around neighborhoods to see what everyone else has put in their yards, and I love a good professionally decorated display. I even line my hallways and living room with lights where a boarder would be near the ceiling. I have to!!!!! It makes me warm and fuzzy. I also have special battery operated lights that I keep on my tv stand year round. Ohhh, and I have a spider web candelabra that has lights on it year round as well as some other weird web lights and led spiders. What can I say? I stock up every Halloween! If you can’t tell, I really like spiders. 

Alrighty! I was trying to keep this first post short and simple and filled with exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!! and I think I have succeeded. What are some of your favorite things about Christmas? Let me know in the comments below! 

Don’t forget to check back tomorrow when I list my favorite Xmas Horror films! Did Krampus make the list? You’ll have to wait to find out! 

Stay Sweet and Twisted, 

Krystal Lake





No comments:

Post a Comment