Saturday, December 19, 2015

The Sixth Day of Christmas with Krystal Lake: Books to Read in 2016

A new year brings so much to look forward to. A new outlook on life, a fresh start, the new season of Shameless on Showtime. Okay, I snuck that one in there. While I do love a good lifestyle change, I love looking forward to pop culture stuff way more! New albums, new tours, new seasons of tv shows, new movies, and new books! Today, I want to take a moment and share some of the titles that I am super excited for in 2016!

So Sad Today: Personal Essays
By Melissa Broden
Release Date: March 15, 2016


Melissa Broden has always struggled with anxiety. Her response to it? In 2012 she created an anonymous Twitter account called @sosadtoday. She asked questions most people would never ask and even more would never even dream of answering. This book is filled with her personal essays on love, sex, death, love self-esteem, addiction, and the drama of waiting for the universe to text you back. This is one of those books that will, more than likely, take on you a whirlwind of emotions from happy to sad to laughing out loud to on the verge of tears. Yeah... I can't wait to have my heart toyed with.


Living Like a Runaway: A Memoir
By Lita Ford
Release Date: February 23, 2016

That's right!!!!!! The long awaited autobiography of Lita Ford is only two months away!!!!! I can't wait to hear her spill on her experiences as a female musician in the 70s and 80s. In case you don't have a clue who Lita Ford is, she is known as the Godmother to Rock N Roll. She was the lead guitarist to the pioneers of rock, The Runaways. Still lost? Remember that film where Dakota Fanning ran around painted up like David Bowie and was in her underwear half the time? Lita Ford was the guitarist who wasn't Joan Jett or Kristen Stewart for you special folks.


13 Minutes
By Sarah Pinborough
Release Date: February 18, 2016

This one is a teen drama. You'll see what I mean. Check out this little teaser from the author:

"I was dead for 13 minutes. I don't remember how I ended up in the icy water but I do know this - it wasn't an accident and I wasn't suicidal. They say you should keep your friends close and your enemies closer, but when you're a teenage girl, it's hard to tell them apart. My friends love me, I'm sure of it. But that doesn't mean they didn't try to kill me. Does it?"

Ohhh yeah, it's gonna get real!


This Is Where It Ends
By Marieke Nijkamp
Release Date: January 5, 2016

This is another teen title, but with a rather tough subject - a school shooting. In this book, a high school principal gives a speech to an auditorium of students. When she is done, the student get up to leave, but the auditorium doors are locked. That is when the shooting begins. This book covers spans the course of 54 minutes told through four different eyes and how one students revenge turns into everyone else's survival. In case I never warned anyone, I don't always read feel good books, and I don't anticipate this tale to have the happiest of endings.


A Thousand Naked Strangers: A Paramedics Wild Ride to the Edge and Back
By Kevin Hazzard
Release Date: January 5, 2016

Meet Kevin Hazzard! He went from being a failed salesman to local reporter and now paramedic. After the attacks on 9/11, Kevin found himself needing to give his life more meaning and really wanted to test himself as well as make a difference. What did he discover about himself? He really has a knack for emergency medical treatment. This autobiography let's you get to know Kevin as he shares his tales from being an EMT in Atlanta. Kevin has a way of telling the most tragic stories that remind us of how precious life really is paired with laugh out loud moments to keep you smiling through the worst. I am so excited for this book! I love a good bio, especially one that makes you more aware of yourself just because it really reminds you how short life is.


Gena/Finn
By Kat Helgeson and Hannah Moskowitz
Release Date: April 5, 2016

This is a story about two girls who would have never met if it wasn't for a mutual love for a tv show. Both are young adults and are sharing their life stories with one another. From job hunting to whether or not to marry the current boyfriend. Something goes wrong for Gena and her life is turned completely upside down and Finn is the only one who can save Gena from complete destruction. This is the story of friendship and love in a digital age, which I see more and more with each passing year. I have friends that I would have never met if it hadn't been for apps like Instagram. People I have met, hung out with, met their spouses, and even have become good friends with. This story is told through texts, e-mails, blog posts, and journal entries. I can't wait to read this one!!


Alrighty, those are just a few books that I am looking forward to reading in 2016. Is there a book you think I might like or one you want to recommend based on my choices? Leave me a comment below with the title and the author! I love a good read!

Stay Sweet and Twisted,

Krystal Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment